Thursday, August 13, 2009

14 more days till brain liberation.


I'm not one of those women who basically hates their kids and turns complaining about home life into a hobby, but I am really looking forward to school starting.  This summer had only one half day camp for my son and that ended four weeks ago.  So I've been entertaining two kids on a limited budget for basically the whole summer.  No pool passes or anything, just playgrounds, crafts and zoos.  It's not a bad thing because it's helped to build strong relationships with family members while the kids are young which is priceless. 

 But I am tired.   Tired and a bit bored which means it's difficult to engage the kids.  They respond to enthusiasm and mine is waning.  Also, I've have had to put my writing and crafting away for the summer and I miss them.  I miss having moments in my day where I am not listening for, entertaining or taking care of any child.  Hours when I am doing my work guilt free.  Hopefully, I will be payed for my work by next summer and these guys will both spend part of the day at a camp while I work.  I think that I will be less bored by the end of summer if I can have a schedule and regular work breaks.  

This summer though, will always be a good one in my mind.  We have always been a loving family that gets along with each other, but we are human.  Now that summer is ending the kids are a little more likely to be frustrated and bored, meaning there is more fussing and fights.  Learning to control your actions even when you feel upset has been a major source of discussion in time outs.  What an opportunity to teach that important lesson early in life!  I know some adults that need to learn it and I am glad to say that I have seen the kids make lots of progress.  

So, not a bad summer just a long one.  One that was not about me.  But like I have been teaching the kids - It's not always about you!  

*Enjoy the picture of the kids having fun in a very large and very free box that dominated the living room for many days.*

No comments:

Post a Comment