Saturday, August 22, 2009

Changes are a-comin'.


Only one of my children starts school this Wednesday, he is in fourth grade and switching to the upper elementary.  It's so weird to have a kid that's almost ten, you would think I'm approaching my mid-thirties or something.  My other little nugget of joy is starting Kindergarten and so there is a two hour walk through for half of the kids on Wednesday, nothing for us on Thursday and, finally, the real deal on Friday.  The thrill and painful nostalgia of putting my current youngest in school is an awesome thing.  As a mother I am proud though a bit wistful that my baby is growing up.  Add in the adoption aspect and I actually have occasional moments of anger because I missed the first two years and now she is moving on already.  Luckily, she is an intelligent and confidant little thing and she is going to rule that school. 

There is another part of me though, a part that has been restlessly sleeping these past three months.  It surfaces occasionally to work on a plot idea or to analyze a book that I am enjoying but rests again before too much frustration can set in.  I've encouraged the partial hibernation and it payed off because I had that much more mental energy to use keeping two energetic kids busy.  As an unbelievable result my kids have reached the end of a summer spent with no pool passes, not one amusement park visit, no vacation and no sport teams without hating and killing each other.  If you don't have kids you might not understand, but trust me - it's a major feat.

Anyway, the sleeping behemoth is now sitting on the edge of it's bed and and rubbing it's eyes.  Taking a big ol' stretch and already listing off all of the things that it's been saving up for me.  Plot points, blog stuff, interview ideas, crafting projects and all other manor of things that I have had to give up.  It's safe to say that I will go insane if I don't write it all down, make priorities and a plan.  To do this I am going to start carrying a small journal.  For most writers it's an established habit, the fact that I don't probably makes them doubt my writerliness.  But I always have story stuff playing in the back of my head and have worked well so far with the idea that if it's a really good point then it will stick with me.  Now, I have to organize more than just a plot.  For the first time I am see platform building as a major part of my success as an author and I am putting a lot of thought in to how to go about it.  It's a new one to me, but Lyn Veihl has been very clear about so much of it that I feel like I have a starting point.  As a matter of fact, I think that I will try to review her latest book for my blog as one of the new things that I will be adding.  

So there you have it, my friends.  Changes are coming.  I will doubtlessly change my template but I might even move the whole deal to another site that allows for more layout options.  I definitely plan on opening up my little world in her with reviews, interviews and such.  So give me until Friday and then the fun will begin.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment