Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review:Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling


I confess, it has been quite some time since I have read Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling and just as long since I have owed her a review. But here it is and I must say, it is the same today as it would have been all those months ago...

I found the book Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling on the blog for Marjorie M Liu. After winning a contest for a free copy. I quickly read the book and then, I confess, got too caught up in circumstances to finish the review that I had started. So allow me to correct my mistake by telling you now that Happy Snak is an incredibly entertaining book!

Short but engaging, I could not stop reading this weird and off beat story that takes place on an alien ship. I have decided to not go back and get actual names from the text as I feel that I would be too tempted to give spoilers, so let me tell you the gist of the story like this -

An Earth woman who runs a snack store decides to sign up to be one of the people that are taken into an alien space station to travel to an alien world and learn about their race. She is an underdog, her advertising is not as slick as her competitor and she is her only real employee but she plugs along until one night when she witnesses the death of a very important alien.

Witnessing that death puts her in a unique position and makes her the guardian of that alien's 'ghost'. A task which does not stop her from her primary job as snack seller to anything that might have the munchies.

From there, secrets are found out, plots are uncovered, alien androgynous sex is explained and all sorts of hijinks and mayhem ensue. It's an enjoyable read and the concept of that world sticks with you. For me, if a world sticks with you and engages you imagination then it is a book worth reading!

So pick up a copy or download it today. It's an easy read that will entertain you immensely and you will not be sorry! Remember, I read this story months ago and am still able to recall the whole thing - high praise from someone who reads as much as I do. :)

Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling --- A happy and fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment