Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Uh oh, NaNoWriMo!


Okay, it's day four of NaNoWriMo and I have only sat down once to write.  It's actually okay though.  I got out 1,179 words in the 25 minutes that I had before my daughter's bus came and they are good ones.

I did it with my patented method of getting into the story big time and have found a mighty weapon to use to get there.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...The Dr. Wicked's Write or Die thingee!  *Roar of a small but enthusiastic crowd*

All you do is go to the page, enter the number of words that you want to write and in what time.  Then the fun part is choosing your mode for consequences and grace period.  There is everything from gentle mode (why bother) to evil, kamikaze and electric shock.  I tried normal and strict, just to see how it worked.  Basically it gives you a space to start typing and then, based on your preferences, will change the background color when too much time has gone by without typing.  The color change without noise or pictures is ideal because it's a visual cue that's not really distracting.  It's fun and made me compete with myself which is ideal.  By the time the timer ran out I didn't really care anymore because I had moved on to the finish line being when BabyGirl's bus came.  

So if you're a writer and are having a day when you just can't seem to get going - try Dr. Wicked's Write or Die page.  It's fun, effective and just a little bit evil.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment