Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happier times means better writing for me.


As it turns out I am not one of those writers that needs to be wallowing in the depths of despair to write.  I mean, life has it's challenges and stresses, but writing is not my escape when the going gets tough.  No, when the going gets tough I bury my head in a book and get cranky with anyone silly enough to interrupt me.  Turns out, I write when I'm feeling pretty good.  I don't need extreme gut-busting happiness, but at least even keel average.  

This is important stuff to know as a writer.  Everyone works differently and it's good to know that if I'm feeling crazy with stress then I need to settle down before starring at a blank screen.  Blank screens are an opportunity when I'm doing well and a source of tears when I'm letting life get to me.

Sunday and yesterday I played with my family.  My hubby, who has been working non-stop for weeks, took a day off to go to the Toledo zoo with us on Sunday.  We were all a bit tired but it was tons of fun.  Yesterday was even better because it was so routine - well, routine for an average summer, not one like we've been having.  Last night after dinner we all hung out in the back yard.  The kids rode bikes and played with the dog, I weeded and talked with the hubby.  Life was so, so sweet.  

Moments like that are magic.  They are magic for family bonding, memories, raising good kids and, apparently, busting out of writer's block.  This morning my brain feels clearer, like stories are beginning to poke their heads out.  It's a glorious feeling.  I plan on setting my kids up with movies and writing as much as I can just for the pure joy of it today.  Maybe that's the secret, joy begets joy.  All I know is, I feel good and I'm going to write about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment