Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I really hate doing what everyone else does....


Waiting to hear back from publishers, editors and agents is tedious business.  I haven't had a lot of opportunity to write so I've been reading.  A few books, none of them worth mentioning other than I will never pick up another book by LKH again.  There has also been the online conference Left Behind and Loving It hosted by Lynn Viehl.  As usual, I found that reading everyone's opinion on what I should be doing was old after awhile.  I hate that.  Even if people aren't telling me that I need to do it that way I start to feel like they are and get all upset.  It's important for me to pace myself in these things - my insecurities end up projecting onto other people and I feel judged.  (Hey, at least I know that it's an issue!)

Anyway, I was intrigued by the idea of self-publishing ebooks.  I might be trying to sell specific novel length stories, but short stories take less time to write and until I'm more popular no one wants them.  If I self publish for a couple of bucks per download - maybe that will help bridge this incredibly huge gap.  I think that's what I'm going to do.  Why not?  Most authors seem to publish print books or self publish.  A few offer free ebooks to readers, but they usually have print books that they want to hook you for.  So, I plan to shop the novels to editors and agents while self-publishing the short stories and then maybe offering them for free after I have published a few print books.  It just seems more proactive.  Plus I feel like the publishing business is being shook up and I want to take the opportunity to walk my own path.  

I just really hate doing what everyone else does.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment