Sunday, May 24, 2009

My first deadline - how cute!

The North East Ohio Chapter of the Romance Writers Association has a writing contest for local writers that have not been published in the last five years.  It's called the Cleveland Rocks Romance Contest and the deadline for entry is June 1.  I am planning on entering two stories, but hoping for three.  So far the first two are paranormal romance and the third is contemporary.  I really want to enter a contemporary story because the judge for that category is with Harlequin and I would like to work with them.  But that story is my least developed and I'm trying to not be too upset if it doesn't happen.

Anyway, one of the biggest advantages of this contest, for me, is that it's been my first experience with working on deadline.  So far, I have handled it the way I always feared that I would.  When I first found out about it there was aaaallll this time before June and so I barely did anything.  Flash forward to two weeks before it's due and I'm scrapping together all of the writing time that I can find and trying to not get too nervous.  It's like college term papers all over again.  Maybe I work a little better this way though.  It helps me to focus.  No time for all of the other little things that usually distract me - I'm on a deadline, people!


No comments:

Post a Comment