Wednesday, May 27, 2009

That just blew my mind!


Okay, so there I was taking a little break to read up on the two blogs that I follow, and what do I find?  One of my favoritest authors of all time, whose career I desperately want mine to be like, is going to be in Ohio in a week in a half.  Why?  Because another author that I looove is holding a Reader and Author Get Together.  It's like a romance writer star studded event!  In my little world, this is like some preteen getting to go meet the cast of Twilight.  I was so excited!  But then - the deadline to register had passed about a week ago.

I may have used some power words while sulking and fighting tears.  Then the hubby suggests I email Lori Foster, author hosting the event and romance writing goddess, and ask if she'd let me go anyway.  So I did, not feeling hopeful.  Thinking that it would be awhile for a response. About three minutes later I got a response and she graciously gave the okay.  Then I cried just a little because THE Lori Foster had just emailed me!  Shut up!  

Jumping around at the idea of meeting Marjorie M Liu, Lori Foster and the rest, I provided much entertainment for my family.  The kids thought it was great - Mommy's insane.  Hurray!  

After I settled down a bit, I read through the rest of the information for the event and found that I can make an appointment to meet with an editor or agent.  Twelve minutes to network and pitch my book.  No way!  This sent me into another tizzy of jumping and screeching before I realized that they wanted a finished manuscript and I have not finished my book.  Just the four chapters necessary to enter the writing contest.  So.  I need to finish a novel in eight days.  Eight days to write about 70,000 more good words.  *gulp*

Okay, I can do this.  The story is there in my head but getting it out is still a skill that I'm working on.  Maybe I can look at this like some sort of advanced or honors class where they expect a whole lot of good stuff in a short time.  No problem, I usually thrive in those classes.  I also usually get little sleep and forgo personal hygiene if necessary.  Rising levels of crankiness is pretty much a given, but I do have a very understanding family.

So that will be the focus of my posts for the next eight days.  Updates on my honors writing class and deteriorating levels of hygiene.   God help us all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment