Friday, May 22, 2009

Freelancing whanabe

I was just reading a post by Tobias Buckell, a fellow Ohioan, about his decision to work freelance and how the three years since have gone.  You can see it here http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2009/05/09/a-three-year-freelanceiversary/.  He says some stuff that I believe is so important to anyone making the leap to freelance.  First and foremost is that working for yourself is hard work.  Long, hard work for a boss that is rarely satisfied.  

As a freelancer you are always trying to improve your work, your business contacts and your salary.  My wonderful husband has been a freelancer for seven years now and I have seen the ups and downs, the lack of sleep and free time when deadlines approach and the sweaty palms when there is little future work lined up.  But I have also seen the joy of working hard to do a job that you love.  Barry has said that he has no real hobbies because he is doing what he has grown up doing for fun - drawing.  

Now I am trying to throw my hat into the ring with writing and my Etsy store.  It's funny to me when I get frustrated over how much work it is.  Granted, I have two kids, one that is not old enough for school yet and summer break is here in three weeks anyway.  But there I am, glaring at the clock at 11pm wanting to sleep and get more work done at the same time.  Then in the afternoon, wanting to rest during my daughter's nap time and write at the same time.  There is never enough time and I am never satisfied with my work.  I want to do better work, faster and get paid more for it.  Hmm, sounds familiar.  Guess I am a freelancer after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment