Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Learning the ropes

I feel like I have been learning the ropes for several things all at the same time.  Writing, sewing, running an Etsy store, how to function enough to work after the kids go to bed and still get up in the morning.  It's all very overwhelming at times.  But here are some of the things that I have learned or am working on learning.
1. Coffee is my bestest friend, followed closely by beer.
2. PBS time in the morning is educational and beneficial for a four year old.  Sid the Science Kid taught my daughter about levers, pulleys and digestion, why should I be alarmed if she expects TV?  The American Academy of Pediatrics my think me wrong, but I say that an hour or two every morning is a good thing.
3. Writing is very time consuming.  There is a contest with American Romance Writers that I want to enter on June 1, getting my submission done in time is a bit of a crunch.  But that leads to lesson 4....
4. Learn how to get into your writing groove when time allows rather than dropping everything to write just because the muse has struck.  This is invaluable.  It might not work every time but I am beginning to get a lot more work done than I used to.
5. Sewing and crafting, on the other hand, is best done when the inspiration is upon you - that's when the best stuff happens.
6. The kids don't care about your deadlines.  Give them all of the undivided attention that you can when you spend time with them so that they will feel less upset and needy when you tell them to go play because it's work time for the next hour.  Fulfill their needs and they are more willing to help you fulfill yours.
7. Spouses work the same way as kids.  Just apply rule #6 all the way around.

I'll add more later as they come to me.  For now, my work hour is up and the rest of the world calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment