Monday, June 8, 2009

Coming down off the mountain with a crash and a whimper


The conference was, if I look at it objectively, wonderful.  I learned a lot.  From the advice of a woman that I greatly admire to the very concrete knowledge of where I want to go.  I will not accept less, even if the road is longer and harder than the alternative.  But, daaaamn, you would think that I would have gained a little freaking bit of good karma by now.  (Which seemed to be in effect at my pitch meeting, but today I have indulged in many self derogatory thoughts - chief among them being that my successful pitch was an awesome fluke.)

So, because today was a mucky mire of depression and utter conviction that I am not good enough and will never be good enough for where I want to be in five years- let's just talk about the crown jewel of what I want.  Because I need to remember where I want to be and work for it.  

Within five years I want to be signing books at ComicCon.  There,  simple as that.  If I could be next to Marjorie M. Liu, who rocks, then all the better.  Sprinkle on top for both of us- a Whedon sighting.  Now, truth be told, Whedon will probably actually talk to Ms. Liu before I ever have a chance to take his picture from across a crowded room, but still.... I wanna see him too.  

And that, my friends, is one of the coolest things to come out of this weekend for me.  I do not write Paranormal Romance, I write Urban Fantasy.  This was a complete and utter shock to me because the only Urban Fantasy that I had ever read was Hunter Kiss, a book completely different from mine.  But, after having the difference explained to me,  I see that I do write Urban Fiction.  That feeds my personality, tastes and where I want to go more than Romance ever could.  Plus, there is the added bonus of not having Romance in the name.  Please, don't get me wrong, I loves me some romance- but for me the term is so girly.  (Plus I'm not real comfortable writing sex scenes.)  My friends, who are totally girly but know that I'm not, laugh when I mention writing romance.  Not only does the term Urban Fantasy keep my artsy non-girly street cred, but it makes me more eligible for ComicCon.  

So this is something that I need to keep in mind.  As I hate what I write and feel unworthy, I need to use that energy to improve.  Someday I will rock writing.  But I will always need to keep rocking the parenting of two kids and being a wife first.  Not everyone needs to balance those, but then again- not everyone has an awesome spouse who supports them in the fight for a Comicon table.  But I do, I totally have one- and I love him   So I need to keep all of this in mind and make it my battle cry.  I will own my life and I will make it count, in marriage, parenting and writing.  

Rock on, me! 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the SUCK CYCLE of the prepublished! Sometimes the highs and lows of the journey make me feel like one of my kids extra super-duper bouncy balls. But the truth is you have much to celebrate my friend. You are ahead of 95% of the people out there! You finished a book, pitched, networked, had breakfast with the way cool Marjorie M. Liu, and did it all on your own grit and bravery. Think of it this way, you accomplished more in the past 3 weeks then many "aspiring" writers accomplish in a year. You’ll get there… your passion will drive you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will email you off line to compare notes. :)

    ReplyDelete